Are you Trash or Treasure?

Is someone a piece of trash becasue they committed a horrible crime or is it possible for them to be a diamond in the rough, a treasure in disguise?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Is a Masters Degree enough?

I am thankful for all of the wonderful people who wrote me encouraging words to not give up and believe that all of this is so i can be of service to others. All of which I heard, what I need is a JOB. I stuggle with knowing that I am a great counselor, especially with my background coupled with my education. My felony however, precludes me from this avenue of service. So, in an effort to show I am willing to do anything I applied to work at McDonalds, and a Gas Station, and several others, all of whom declined to hire becuase of my past. I think about this being so difficult for me how bad must it be for those who have no family support, or ability to get higher education. I am lucky because my only dependents are my ill father and my 3 dogs. Everyone is full of advice or platitudes about keeping my chin up, or all of this will be used for good, not evil. Good, I can be of service homeless. That is showing what a "Good Citizen" I am. I worked extremely hard upon my release, for almost two years i attended 3 different colleges to complete my Bachelors Degree in Business and my Master's Degree in Psychology. Taking 24 units a semester to complete both of these degrees in 3 years. I thought such dedication and determination to educate myself would out weigh my decisions from nealry 19 years ago. I am devastated by how wrong I was. Nothing takes away from or soothes over my mistake. Did i waste my time in getting two degrees? Personally, I feel I accomplished something pretty great, great for any normal person, let alone someone who had just gotten out of the big house. I hoped that my future employers would value this desire to be the best JoAnn i can be. I am so beaten down by the encompassing judgement that i just feel like i wasted my time. A friend quoted to me that it doesn't matter how many times we fall down, but how we get up, every time I am denied a job, I apply for another. I know i am Good Enough, just looking for the person who knows it as well.

3 comments:

  1. I so hear your frustration JoAnn. And I get it. You're dealing with this in a very graceful way. I keep you in my prayers and I know that there is always hope. You might want to contact Father Gregory at Homeboy Industries (http://homeboyindustries.org, (323) 526-1254) His forte is working with kids who have been in and out of jail and they have a bunch of great businesses going including Homegirl cafe. (http://homegirlcafe.org/). I'll be he can help somehow.

    Much love, and bunches of hope!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nancy, Homeboy and girl industries is based in LA and i live in no cal. It is also for gang memebers or ex gang memebers. Thank you for your kind words and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful heartfelt post. I will share your information. Are you limited to a specific area in No. Cal. You never know where that break will come. I will keep you in my prayers and my ears open to speak of you to the right person, when the right opportunity arises. Hang in there ❤️

    ReplyDelete