Are you Trash or Treasure?

Is someone a piece of trash becasue they committed a horrible crime or is it possible for them to be a diamond in the rough, a treasure in disguise?

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Frustration!

I just realized how long it has been since I wrote anything on here. My last post was not long after I graduated from the University of Santa Monica with a Master's Degree in Spiritual Psychology. I had moved down to LA to be closer to my USM peeps, my tribe. Within a few months, my dad fell ill and I made the decision to pack myself up and move 12 hours north to take care of him. Almost as soon as I arrived my new Parole Officer was on me about finding a job. I had no problem getting interviews, had more than i can count, was honest about my felony from at that time more than 16 years prior, yet no one extended me an offer of employment. So, I made the decision to Omit my felony when applying to Kohls Department Store. There is always the question, "Have you ever been convicted of a felony, and if so when and where and give a brief description." I said NO. I was hired within a week to work in the Customer Service Department. Within two months I was given the added responsibilty of the Cash Office, which is counting all the money incoming and outgoing. I did my best for 14 months, kept trying to move my way up. Everytime I applied for a promotion, I was told they needed me in were I was because I was so good at it. Then in late March 2012, I got to work at 5:45 in the morning. At promptly 6am I was pulled into the Managers office and told they did a further background check finding my felony. He fired me for lying on my job application. Since then I have interviewed for jobs ranging from a Counselor position for people diagnosed with HIV/AIDS to a convenient store clerk, I made the decision to be honest about my past, showing them how much I had matured and grown. Two Weeks ago I interviewed at a local grocery store for a position in the produce department. I was open and honest leaving with hope in my chest that the interview went well. As soon as I left, the guy who interviewed me called several people into his office, including a neighbor. He proceeded to look me up on google and read the articles about me. Cutting me up, judging me for my mistakes. Of course, I wasnt offered the job, did i mention the pay was minimum wage! Now you all can go look up what ever you want, and judge what ever you want. My question to you is, When is someone redeemed, forgiven, given a second chance? How am i supposed to support myself, if I cant get a job with a decent wage? I am super frustrated at myself for crating this fiasco, for putting myself in a place where these people can get their jollies in judging me. I am scared that i wont be able to support myself!

4 comments:

  1. I love you. I'm aware of the ways in which the main-stream think, which has always been absurd to me. I can't offer you anything you don't already know. You've been my savior so many times and I pray that you be your own savior as well. You are redeemed already. You are forgiven already. If you need to dig down deeper and redeem yourself or forgive some last final little bit, well, if and when you are ready - that will be there for you. However, it seems to me that this is more about consequences than anything else. The funny thing about consequences is that sometimes if you accept them, they kind of go away. But how is that accomplished, I couldn't begin to offer the steps. So what comes forward, if it is of any help in this really challenging and excruciatingly frustrating situation, is to surrender ...

    If you can ... That's not F@&%*! easy... I know. I feel in your heart a calling to serve and maybe serving is where to start..? Serve the people you love and/or feel compassion for. Serve them for free at first if you have to - and I pray you have some support from family or others in the mean time. And walk in proud. I'm so incredibly proud of you, you can't know. I hope you can walk in to a job interview proud and open with the sentence like this:

    "I have a felony on my record. I've made mistakes and learned my lesson and I want to serve these people. My journey has equipped me with incredible gifts to give back and I want to share those gifts. Serving these people is my passion ..."

    JoAnn, you don't owe anyone anything except yourself. You have paid legally for what society judged according to society's rules. You have cooperated with society and you deserve society's cooperation, whether it is showing up right now or not. You deserve it. You have been loyal and loving. You have honestly taken on your journey. I pray to Christ Jesus for your already-redemption to manifest before you and I call in the light of God and the Holy Spirit for mercy and grace in your own consciousness with yourself and manifest in your experience. I pray that society's "scarlet letter" is released from those who place their fury, self-anger, guilt and fears upon you. I pray for your true liberation under the light of God.

    In Christ Light,
    Pol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't add anything more than what Pol said, but just know that I'm sending light and I trust that the perfect position will show up for you where you can be seen for who you are and not what you've done. There by the grace of God...

    Love and Light to you my dear.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the utmost faith that you will look back on this time with a smile and a realization- Oh! That's what that was all about!- In the meantime, I send you love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoAnn, you are truly a beautiful, loving soul... and someone I'M PROUD TO CALL MY FRIEND!!! I echo what Pol so eloquently stated and I keep hearing Ron and Mary say, "This or something better!" I have a feeling that something better is just around the corner for you. Open your self up to greater possibilities. You are a gift to this world dear JoAnn! And sending light and love and I'm here for you.
    Love you friend,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete